Wednesday 25 September 2013

More about Miss - Ballroom Dance

I figured since the segment with Michael has gone underway, and we have mentioned being dance partners in a couple of the posts I thought I would expand further on that subject!

I am a competitive Ballroom and Latin Dancer, no that's not Salsa and stuff ( though it's a common misconception). It includes dances, including but not limited to, ChaCha, Waltz, Jive, Quickstep ect. It's quite a competitive world and I have had quite a journey getting to the point in which I am now, including many tears and many great moments. So I am just going to outline this for you, since I think it is quite interesting, and you may like to hear a little more about me!

I started back in eighth grade, in the beginners level Ballroom. I had recently quit hockey due to pressure from my parents and my Dad decided to start me in something different and new ! So I started to dance. I loved it from the very beginning, I felt like a rockstar, and I thought I was so good.
Baby Miss in the Purple


When I graduated this level and I moved up to the competitive classes that's when my passion really started. I got partnered with a little Asian boy named Alain. I must say he isn't the best dancer there was around, and I wasn't happy about it. But in my younger inexperienced days I was super thrilled because I thought he was great ! We then went in competitions for our first time and lost every single one. It was a kick in the shins for me since in fact I thought I was an amazing dancer !


Then as the year went on we got to the second semester of my first competitive year and I was partnered with this boy named Pavel, he was 10, I was 14. I was not a happy camper ! He was a great dancer though, his mother was the reigning Canadian champion at that time and she requested that I dance with him because she saw potential in me ! We got moved up levels, and won as well. I felt like I was babysitting him though every single time we danced together.
Pavel and I in the front row


The next September I started to then dance with Garrett. One of my favourite partners to this day. I must admit I did have a crush on him. We had a love hate relationship. We held hands during practice, we even had our own handshake yet.. we tended to argue. We danced together for a year and everyone saw so much potential in us. They told us we would get married ! That we would go far together in the dance world, then he decided to quit on me. To start boxing , what a switch !
We won quite a lot


The September after he quit I was the partnered with Evan ! I shared him with another girl named Emily. Let's just say her and I didn't get along so well, we both didn't like the idea of sharing our men ;)  Our coaches proposed that Evan and I move up a level and out of the Kid's Club which we have been in for years at that point. That we move up to private lessons and a higher level in competitions. Of course we were super excited at this point, but that didn't include Emily. When Evan split with her to dance with me I must say that is when my first enemy in the studio was created.







To explain this further boys are a hot commodity in a Ballroom dancing studio. Most girls spend years waiting for a partner when they lose one. I never have had that problem personally, I don't want to sound conceded but I was always the girl that someone was interested in partnering with ! Possibly because I was getting good at the Dance at that point. During this time period I had a crush on a guy in the same club as me. His name was Michael! I wanted to Dance with him so bad, but it wasn't really in the options because he had a partner that would work for him in the long run. So I sent my not so subtle hints that I was interested in him, yet he never seemed to bite so I moved along.

That Spring Evan and I decided after an amazing season of winning competitions, and a winning friendship that we were going to part ways. On my end it was mostly due to the fact he was holding me back, because my skill set improved much faster than his was, and that he seemed to not take dance as seriously as I did. He decided he wanted to move on and do something less stressful than competitive Ballroom dancing. So it was an easy split and I was happy with it.

When Evan and I were in the process of splitting Michael and I were talking and we both agreed that we wanted to dance together. He was currently with a partner whom he wasn't connecting with as I was ending my partnership with Evan ! This was the plan until I hit a roadblock. My teacher brought to my attention another boy whom needed a partner who she thought would be better suited for me. Due to the fact that I wanted to go far in this art form I decided to partner with him. Under the advisement of my coach. Then as if fate struck he quit on me, and into Michael's arms I fell ( in dance terms not relationship terms). Michael was the best partner I had, we worked together super well, we danced together like no tomorrow and we swept up at competitions.


Then I hit another road block. My coach then contacted me saying another boy was available to dance with. He was like the fantasy boy, when I dreamed at night about Dance I would always find myself dancing with him mostly due to the amazing skill he had. With the switch of partners to him I would be gaining a level, and giving myself a huge opportunity. So I had to take it, and goodbye to Michael I said.

To this day I regret that choice that I made, it set myself back, left Michael without a partner, and me swimming in a pool filled with PiraƱa's. Let's cut this part short, it didn't work out with him. And now I am happily back with Michael, and am here to stay !




That ended up being longer than I thought I would write, but I find it super interesting and I hope you do as well. Michael and I are preparing right now for two BIG competitions that I am super pumped for :) So when we go to those I will blog our days and our results if you guys are interested in it :)

I'm also hoping Michael will write his own version of this story, that will come out soon !

Stay Majestic*


2 comments:

  1. I love the outfits, this looks like so much fun!

    hollydollybeautyblogger.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's nice to be sparkly all the time :)

      Delete